Saturday, March 10, 2012

The International Poker Home Game

I recently wrote about a new home game I stumbled upon. If I ever feel like I have a poker itch to scratch, this appears to be the place to do it. It reminds me of going back before the U.S. government found the need to get involved in the online poker world.

This particular group of poker players can't seem to get enough of the home game. There is a regularly scheduled game on Tuesday nights, apparently another one on Thursday nights (I do not know much about that one yet), and for the second week in a row, a Saturday night game. Yowsa!

I call it the International Home Game because the game features many non-U.S. players. There is quite a difference in the rosters of my regular home game and this new one. Regular: John, Mike, Bob, Bob, Steve, Chris, Terry, Dan. International: John, Ron, David, Joe, Murph, ... Azi, Mohammad, Sibin, Ankit, Varun, Ravi, Aviral, Jundong, Amir, ...

The new home game has been profitable for me so far. We usually place a tournament and then cash games. My tournament showings have been second, second, second, out of the money. I broke even in the first two cash games, had a small profit in the third, then killed it last Tuesday. Aside from one guy who seemed to have my number all night (beat my A-Q with A-K and my K-K with A-A), I cruised through the rest of the field when some big hands hit. The play is generally loose, and one LAG player sent lots of chips my way when he did things like go all in with a flop of three diamonds when I held the nut flush. Poker is EZ sometimes!

I am considering driving to The Shoe in Hammond tomorrow, but having these home games in town takes away my motivation for tackling the almost five-hour round trip driving required to play at The Shoe. Playing at the river boat in Peoria is only a three-hour round trip drive, but if I am driving I would rather travel the extra hour each way to get to the best poker room in the Midwest.

Today is a beautiful day. Spring means softball. Time to check out my speed and stamina as my team holds its first practice of the season today.

Have a great weekend!

3 Comments:

Blogger Memphis MOJO said...

Sounds like life is s-w-e-e-t!

11:10 AM  
Blogger Rob said...

Nice. If the home game is both fun and profitable, why make the drive!

12:47 AM  
Blogger Memphis MOJO said...

I saw that Baggo is headed for jail, and he says he was on the right side of the law. That boy just doesn't get it. Here's a link (note at the end it says his predecessor is serving 6 1/2 years as well).

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2012/03/blagojevich-prepares-to-head-to-prison/1#.T2EqMBH2a5I

6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home