Tuesday, April 17, 2012

A Quickie, for ... It has begun ...

"lightning: Thanks for your willingness to move the department forward ..."

And with that ... it begins.

My department at work needs some major fixing and healing, and it looked like I was the best guy to do it. After much thought -- and thanks to my blogger readers who helped so very much with their comments, analyses, and suggestions -- I decided to volunteer to be the interim director for the next year. Although I officially take over on May 1, I have already found myself knee deep in some situations that will take a lot of wisdom, hard work, and communication to rectify. These next several weeks should be a real test of the skills I have built up over my professional career. Things will not be dull!


Softball
btw -- I had not mentioned softball season yet. I was thinking of retiring after last fall, but with the loss of around 30 pounds and with the exercise regimen I have undertaken, I decided to continue. Last night, my first game of the season, was interesting. For starters, I fit into my old baseball pants -- and even had a little room to spare! And since I was not carrying all the extra weight, I actually felt more coordinated and full of energy.

A strong wind blowing right in batters' faces resulted in a low scoring game. My team lost 5-0 despite playing some excellent defense. We left soooo many men on base. Yours truly went 1-3 with a single down the third base line. I also grounded out to short and was out when the third baseman made a diving catch of my grounder heading into left field and got up to throw me out. Guess I am not quite as fast as I thought.

I'll be busy, busy, busy over the next few weeks. I'll still be trying to keep up with my favorite blogs as much as possible.

Cheers!

7 Comments:

Blogger Josie said...

Oh, THAT kind of quickie. Boo!

GL with the new work stuff but you will not need luck. Whore.

1:32 PM  
Blogger Memphis MOJO said...

GL with your new responsibilities. You will do great!

2:06 PM  
Anonymous KenP said...

I'll be watching for riots and major insurrections emanating from central Illinois.

2:43 PM  
Blogger The Neophyte said...

GL Lightning, hope this doesn't cut down on your jaunts to poker rooms around the nation

6:58 PM  
Blogger Cranky said...

I hope at the end of the year you look back on this and can honestly say you achieved your desire to make things better in the department for your colleagues. And, that you're not burnt out. Good luck!

8:19 PM  
Blogger balt999 said...

Love Softball!! Wish we had a team at work...

9:47 PM  
Blogger bastinptc said...

Good luck with it, bro.

10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home