Monday, June 04, 2012

Sometimes It Is Just The Small Things ...

Okay -- so I will readily admit that I am a cheap guy. I did not come from a wealthy family and had some really tight times financially when I went through graduate school and got into my first professional job. I have always looked for bargains and am the money manager in my family. That being said, I have a good job with a good salary. However, I still live for getting bargains. So last night, I made a last-minute run to Dick's Sporting Goods to make a few purchases for my Monday night softball game.
Much to my delight, I found exactly what I was looking for within a few minutes. I was able to buy:
New spikes -- ON SALE
New batting gloves -- ON SALE
I then stopped in Meijer to buy a couple of items. I got:
Deli meat -- ON SALE
Beer -- REDUCED PRICE
Four for four -- batted 1.000 tonight on purchases!
Yes -- it does not take a lot to make to make me happy sometimes. Such is the life of an optimist. I recommend it.

6 Comments:

Blogger Memphis MOJO said...

Retail? What's that?

6:59 AM  
Blogger grrouchie said...

Reduced Price Beer?
Do Tell

7:04 AM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

Reduced price = when stores reduce the regular price of an item so that people but instead of saving their money. While the beer was not technically "on sale," the new regular price was cheaper than it had been.

8:19 AM  
Anonymous KenP said...

If you were truly cheap you'd of passed on a batting glove.

Babe Ruth didn't need no stinkin' batting glove.

Beer is normally highest priced on weekends. Buy beer midweek. Just sayin' (oops)

8:22 AM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

Babe Ruth did not play nearly as long as I have. : o P The gloves will really make a difference or else I would not have bought them. At me level of ... ahem ... experience, I need every advantage I can get. Do you have any spare 'roids available?

I had been reading some reviews of softball spikes and I read where one player said that with all he plays the spikes generally last about a year. Huh? My old spikes were so old that I can't even remember buying them! They have no cushioning left in them and are now ripped at the heal. The rubber cleats have been worn down so far ...

8:47 AM  
Blogger Vegas Linda Lou said...

My husband retired (more or less) when he was 38, and so let's just say he's comfortable. But he still won't buy a goddamn thing if it's not on sale. Warning: never get in back of him at the Walmart grocery store. His price matching could take hours.

On the other hand, I'm a bargain hunter because I have to be.

4:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home