Friday, June 15, 2012

Vacation


Yes -- it is finally here -- VACATION -- as of 5:00 p.m. yesterday!

The past two months became extremely busy as we started the transition process at work for me to become head of my department. It seems like the final part of the process happened Wednesday when we shuffled offices and I moved into the place that has always been designated as the director's office. It is large and pretty nice, but needs a couch or comfy chair -- just in case a short nap is needed!

Part of my goal has been to install a new attitude within the department, and I think I have succeeded so far. A little fun has been brought back, and that was sorely needed. I allowed myself to be the center of a lot of abuse because of how nasty dusty my old office was. Hey -- I am a low maintenance guy. I don't worry about crap like dust. I was asked when the last time I dusted was. Last? Are you kidding me? There was never a first!

Of course, I also had to deal with some of the crappy stuff these past two weeks, including handling a few complaints some people had with my staff, then having to talk with the staff members about the complaints. Those of you who are in managerial positions might be used to that, but I had not supervised anyone for 12 years. Now, suddenly, I am supervising an office of 18 professionals.

I am a bit surprised that I have been dealing so well (so far!) with the stuff one person described as "administrative hoo hah." Although my kids probably see me as a conservative company wonk, they really do not understand that most of my life I have been the guy who challenged the standards -- always the guy who was going against the grain. Sr. Joan, one of my professional references when I was seeking my second professional job, was brutally honest in her assessment of me, describing my many good points, but also relating that I "bristle when dealing with authority." I have gotten better at it over the years, but I still hate wasting my time in endless meetings, filling our reports for state or other agencies, or dealing with situations that just suck the life out of you.

But ... hey, I am now on vacation! I will still have to do a little work over the next few weeks, but I am thankful that this break has come. I look forward to catching up on some things in my personal life that have taken a back seat the past few months.

I am counting down the days until I return to Las Vegas. Five ...

11 Comments:

Anonymous KenP said...

I am supervising an office of 18 professionals

So many ways to respond to that remark. I think I'll go with 18 pros and 1 novice manager?

Discussion of management situations obviates any need for fairness.

10:15 AM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

Not novice, Ken P, just unretired.

10:27 AM  
Blogger Rob said...

Vacation? That's just awesome. And your vacation time includes a week in Vegas? What could be better than that?

Looking forward to meeting you, even with a backwards cap.

10:37 AM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

I only wear the cap backwards for you, Rob. *grin*

10:40 AM  
Blogger Rob said...

In that case, that may be the best tribute to me ever.

10:46 AM  
Blogger Carmel said...

I start my vacation next week :)

12:24 PM  
Blogger ~Coach said...

Have a great time in Vegas, and wear that cap backwards proudly!

1:01 PM  
Blogger Pete P. Peters said...

Congrats on the job front! Have fun on vacation!

5:55 PM  
Blogger grrouchie said...

Good on the Vaca and enjoy your week in fabulous Sin City!
Maybe I'll bump into you at Bally's sanity permitting

6:24 PM  
Blogger Memphis MOJO said...

Dude, hurry up and get out here. There poker to be played!

1:21 AM  
Blogger The Neophyte said...

Enjoy your vacation and have a great time in Vegas. Wish I was there. Well there's always next year.

12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home