Monday, July 02, 2012

Electronic Devices for Dummies -- A Pictorial

Okay -- I will admit that I am not the most technologically advanced guy around. I once believed that at some point the demand for computer jobs would flatten. Ha!

cmitch, among others, loved to jab me about my mega-old cell phone. I had even been due for a free upgrade over two years ago but never bothered. I mean, the phone was basic and easy to use. It was indestructible, having been dropped more times than I can remember. But it was ancient. In fact, a few years ago my son told me how embarrassed he was to even own it. Well ... while my son is waiting for his pre-ordered Galaxy 3, he needed a transition phone since his regular one broke. Doing my fatherly duty, I upgraded my phone so that he could use my old flip phone.  My precious baby:


I must admit, however, that I have liked my new phone so far. It is nothing fancy, just one that should be good for basic calling and texting:


I recently won an ipad in a Face Up Gaming tournament. I had seen them before, but never used one. It was delivered while I was in Las Vegas. I had to fight off several requests from family to open it while I was gone. I thought about selling it on ebay, but acquiesced to the wishes of my wife and kids.


I think this is what it looks like. It is difficult for me to be sure since everyone has been using it and I have barely seen it. I am reminded of the time when I bought a brand new Honda Accord. My wife was pregnant so I let her use my new, safe car. She generously returned it to me years later after driving over 65,000 miles on it. MY new car ...

I am not a total veg, though. Before going to Las Vegas a fellow employee lent me his Mi-Fi so that I could connect to the internet for free instead of paying some ghastly $13/day charge. It had some difficulty connecting on the 17th floor of Bally's, but it worked okay closer to the ground.
Of course, I was then able to use my rusty ... uhh ... trusty laptop while on vacation. Four years old and still running pretty much like it did on day one.

I would post pictures of my watch, but ... I do not wear a watch. I never particularly liked the feel of having something around my wrist. My mom once asked me "How do you ever know what time it is?" My reply: "I just ask someone."

A picture of my ipod ...

Wait -- does it sound like I am the kind of guy who would own an ipod? Muhahahahaha!

I am sure that Ken P is enjoying reading this. And he thought that Very Josie was the one who really needs some ... uhhh ... technological upgrading? And he wondered why I was unwilling to pull my blog off Blogger and put it on some other "easy" site?

Thanks for the read. I just might take a break and get some ice cream. The handle on my churn is a little loose, but I have heard you can actually buy this stuff in the local grocery store now ...

12 Comments:

Anonymous KenP said...

Heard you had bought the wife a new stove but still make her chop wood for it.

2:29 PM  
Blogger Josie said...

Hi KenP! xoxoxoxo :P

2:37 PM  
Blogger SirFWALGMan said...

Cmon man.. I have been waiting all week to hear about you puking! ;).

3:22 PM  
Blogger The Poker Meister said...

Nice post. How'd you win the iPad? I don't remember seeing the details of the tourney...

3:25 PM  
Blogger Wolfshead said...

God, you would fit right in with my family. How I s[pent 30 years in IT while everyone else hasn't a clue about tech is beyond me. BTW, my father wants your old cell.

3:30 PM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

@ The PM: I won the ipad by being the poker blogger to finish highest in Face Up Gaming's first BBT/other groups tournament. It was originally posted that we freebie bloggers would not win an ipad, but I've got it!

4:12 PM  
Blogger Memphis MOJO said...

New technology is fun, but I'm like you -- not willing to pay $13 per day for spotty wifi in my room.

4:47 PM  
Blogger ~Coach said...

Your picture of your old phone, your 'precious baby' - the very same one that I had until I got my current droid last May. The ONLY THING that I didn't like about it (not the phone's fault itself) was having to pay so much just to be able to call and text, when internet access wasn't that much more on other phones...

5:09 PM  
Blogger grrouchie said...

You know - I've always been a technology whore from the moment I could actually afford to do so.

I had one of the first CD burners for my computer when they were still a fricking grand to buy the burner and like 5 bucks per disc. it was Scuzzy (SCSI) and it was amazing with a HUGE burn speed of 2x if, IF I didn't want to use any other function on my computer for the duration. However, 1x was much better and I still couldn't do anything else.
mmmmm

I've fallen a bit behind lately while I'm getting rid of my debt but dammit when I'm debt free I'm upgrading every-fucking-thing!

5:52 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

I assume that your new phone is a smart phone so you will be access the internet on it? And won't have to ask people (like me) to have them look up comments on your blog for you?

So if you didn't have a smart phone, how were able to tweet from your phone?

7:25 PM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

No, I did not get a smart phone. It is pretty basic.

You can send tweets from any phone via text messages. Now you know.

7:27 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

"You can send tweets from any phone via text messages. Now you know."

Someone needs to teach Josie how to do this, so she can send tweets out on her next Vegas visit.

12:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home