Sunday, July 22, 2012

Quick Thoughts on A Day at "The Shoe"

Yesterday I made a trip to one of my favorite poker rooms, Harrah's Horseshoe Hammond. A few thoughts from the trip ...

1) I was hoping to grab a brew with Ken P. Unfortunately, he took a rain check on the meeting to put together a new grill/smoker so that he could have smoked pork loin today. Hmmm ... first Josie tells me that I am out of my mind and now Ken P prefers the company of a grill to me.  I've got to start getting myself a better grade of online blogger friends or something ...

2) I continue to be snake bit at the live poker tables.

Example 1: Guy in early position raised. I raised from middle position with K-K. Guy on my left called. Original raiser called. The flop was Q-J-7, which would normally look pretty good for Cowboys. First to act checks. I throw out a raise. Guy to my left raises. Guy who first checked calls. So ... I had to figure that at least one of these guys was ahead of me. With a sigh, I muck my Kings. After the turn both guys are all in. The first better hit a set of Jacks. The guy to my left hit a set of 7's. What -- nobody else hit a set of Queens?

Example 2: I called a raise with 4-4. The flop was J-4-? with two spades. Original bettor raised. With two spades on the board and hitting a set, I made a big raise. Original bettor went all in. With a dwindling stack and being pot committed, I made the call. Of course, the guy had pocket Jacks and felted me. Meh.

3) I could not keep my eyes off a cocktail waitress there. She looked Latino, with long straight black hair, a nice skin tone, a cute face, and ... this huge rack, which certainly appeared to be 100% natural. I guess I should call this a "Rob moment?"

4) The trip to Hammond was my first attempt to get on the board for Caesars Entertainment's The Great Race to Rewards. I have a trip to Las Vegas tentatively planned for the first week in September, and will be looking at road trips to southern Indiana, Tunica, Mississippi, and maybe Metropolis, IL and St Louis over the next two months. A sort of road race that includes poker and/or gambling? Yessssss!

6 Comments:

Blogger grrouchie said...

That session sounds pretty much like the last session I played in terms of winning monies.
Ugh.
Poker is Evil, I'm going to stick to VBJ - it has less variance

5:17 PM  
Blogger Josie said...

KenP used putting a grill together to avoid you? Awww I almost feel bad.

7:28 PM  
Anonymous KenP said...

I wouldn't bother making up an excuse for Josie. ;)

I really wanted to try the smoker box attaches to the side. It is really slick. My friend to help was only available then,.

I hate to do all the think for the high end bloggers that frequent here, but...

John is in St. Louis, Dave in Tunica and there are others around. You put all the cards together, mail them around. Use those cheap mail envelope that include registered mail service.

Guy goes in and put $5 in a slot with a card. Moves over an isle and repeats and so on.

If there are any not covered by a resident blogger, I am sure you can get Rob to drive them there. That guy loves to drive.

6:22 AM  
Blogger ~Coach said...

There's not that you can do about running into sets, especially with the way that people bet so aggressively these days... The first time was a nice laydown - some people will never lay down an overpair to the board. The second time it's almost impossible to lay down when you're facing set-over-set - it just won't happen to you that often... Sounds like I need your life you poker room connoisseur - oh, wait, it's July 23rd... :) :) :)

9:16 AM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

@ Ken P -- Caesars did put include rules this time that specify "no cheating." But Brutus is an honorable man ... And hey -- do we get to see a picture of the smoker?

@ ~Coach -- If I had a huge stack behind me I think I could have laid it down. The player seemed pretty solid. As it was, The Shoe has a $200 max buy-in for $1/$2 and I had less than $100 to call the all-in bet. But ahhhh ... I will be envying you pretty darn soon ...

9:30 AM  
Blogger Rob said...

So you say you had a "Rob" moment staring at a beautiful woman's chest, and then Ken talks about how I love to drive.

Hmm, I get as many comments on other people's blogs as I do on my own!

LightNing, your comment cries out for a detailed, scientific analysis as to why you think the waitress was 100% natural.

As for drive bloggers around, when exactly are you returning to Vegas. I need to make sure that a)I'm there then and b)my car is tuned up.

5:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home