Sunday, January 27, 2013

Surprise Birthday Party

Sometimes things actually go as planned. Today was one of those days. My wife celebrates her birthday tomorrow. Her best friend and I conspired to set up a surprise birthday party. The cover story was that my wife and I would have an open house for her friends next weekend -- delayed a week from her birthday because my wife was in a play in a local community. The final performance was this afternoon, making for perfect timing to pull off the surprise.

You have to understand that my wife is a very social person who loves to host gatherings. I, however, prefer my house to be my castle, and like to keep the drawbridge shut -- except for poker games, perhaps. So the idea that my wife would give up control of making party arrangements to me -- which I insisted -- was part of the scam. She was dying to step in and help plan, but I told her that it was her birthday and that I would take care of everything. Yesterday morning I told her that I had things under control -- I had someone coming in next week to clean the carpet, hired someone to clean the house and had the food arrangements set. My wife was duly impressed that I had thought ahead and had everything covered. She had no idea that the real party was today. I am a great liar when I want to be! After her play's final performance, my wife and her best friend, along with another friend, were purportedly going out to dinner to celebrate. However, a stop at the best friend's house was needed first. And when she walked in the door ... tada!!!!!


Pulling the wool over my wife's eyes was quite enjoyable. Better yet, today she had a wonderful birthday with her husband, children, and friends -- one that she will never forget.

Happy birthday, dear!

2 Comments:

Blogger Memphis MOJO said...

She's a sweetie. Happy Birthday!

11:05 AM  
Blogger Spot said...

Happy Birthday, Missus 36!

6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home