Saturday, June 01, 2013

She's Leaving Home ... bye bye ...


My oldest girl recently turned 21 years old, and tonight she is moving away from home. She had a first attempt at this almost two and a half years ago, moving to Texas to be with her boyfriend, who was going to school there. I wrote a gut-wrenching post about it. The thing that was so difficult was that she was moving 1,000 miles away. She got homesick and moved back two months later. This time she is moving across town, which is much nicer!

Barring something unforeseen, my son will also be moving out into a dorm at the University of Illinois this August. Suddenly the lightning36 family everyday life will go from a five person household to a three person household. Like my oldest daughter, my son will be close by, so this won't be so bad. It will certainly be different, though.

I feel conflicted. It is great that the kids have gotten older and are moving out to have fun adventures, but the house will be a lot quieter and lonelier. I suddenly feel like I have gotten a lot older.

6 Comments:

Blogger Spot said...

Feel old now? Just wait until grandkids.

1:19 AM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

I think (hope) that grandkids are still far off ..

1:34 AM  
Anonymous KenP said...

Wings!

Remember yours?

Quit shuddering.

7:54 AM  
Blogger Tony Bigcharles said...

how come u arent getting 100 spam comments a day on this post like all ur other posts?

8:24 AM  
Blogger The Neophyte said...

It's hard at first, the house is quiet and they aren't underfoot but then it gets better. Especially when you and your wife get to spend more time with each other. Wait till the last one is gone and you'll really see.

10:25 PM  
Blogger Jordan said...

If you want, you can adopt me after my gambling addiction really takes hold and Kim kicks me out of the house.

3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home