Thursday, August 29, 2013

A Little Bit of Grease

My wife was wondering if I would find it. After I got home from work and ate, I turned on the television to prepare for the Chicago Bears last preseason game. I had almost an hour before the Bears game, however, and as I surfed around my cable channels, I found it:


Strangely enough, I had never seen the play Grease. My first exposure to it came from the movie that was released when I was in college. Although the movie is really goofy, for some reason it has had a special place in my heart. Some random Grease notes.

1) One of my college suitemates, Greg, was an engineering student who also was a talented singer. He was in my college's choral group and would often sing their latest projects in our suite. He loved to sing the following:


 "Well, she was good -- you know what I mean!"
 
2) I never liked Stockard Channing after seeing her portrayal of Rizzo in the movie. Totally emotional and not rational. I could not shake this even when watching The West Wing.
 
3) Olivia Newton John - Cute, blonde, innocent ... certainly my dream then ... maybe even now.
 
4) And of course, I could not fail to mention the great song and lyrics which are near and dear to me:
 


 "You are supreme. The chicks'll cream for Greased Lightning."
 
5) One of my guilty pleasures: I love to watch John Travolta dance!
 
6) And just in case there are some other closet Grease fans out there, one last song:
 


7 Comments:

Blogger Memphis MOJO said...

Olivia Newton-John was da bomb!

12:13 AM  
Blogger ManInBlack said...

a Musical? Your "MAN CARD" Is revoked

12:31 AM  
Blogger balt999 said...

Love this movie! Cheesy yes, but can't get enough it.

1:02 AM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

@balt999 -- It certainly points to a time of a little more innocence in entertainment.

1:10 AM  
Blogger ManInBlack said...

Oh who am I kidding I love the Musical "RENT"

1:48 AM  
Blogger JT88Keys said...

I agree Olivia Newton-John was gorgeous back then. She has since messed up her face with unnecessary plastic surgery. She's on the road to looking like Joan Rivers eventually.

In the original Broadway play Kenickie sings Greased Lightning and not Danny. Travolta used his clout to insist they change it so he sang it instead of Jeff Conaway.

6:46 AM  
Blogger thundering36 said...

God, you're old.

4:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home