Thursday, August 08, 2013

Temporarily Forgoing Cash Games For A Little Tournament Action

It seems like everybody who plays online poker says that they are either a tournament player or a cash game player. Different skills and strengths are required for each. Frankly, I always thought that I had skills in both areas. However, I also realized that by having my skill set shared between the two, likely it meant that my weaknesses were also shared between the two. Is the conclusion that I then just suck overall at poker? I don't know -- maybe!

On recent trips to Las Vegas I have played cash games exclusively. In online play, however, I like to play cash games and tournaments at places like Americas Cardroom. A recent tournament hand made me remember why I like the cash games.

I was playing in a private tournament and doing great. I was catching cards, playing well, making good decisions -- you know how that is. I was the chip leader in the tournament and thought I would be cruising toward the final table. Then it happened: The Hand.

I was in the big blind with 10-3dd. The villain was in the small blind. This is how the ugliness went down. Names have been changed to protect the guilty.

Blinds were 150 and 75. Antes were 15. I was one of the chip leaders with 6020. The villain was the only other big stack at the table -- 5037 chips. Everyone folded and action was on the small blind.

Villain raises (225)   I don't believe him
Hero calls (150)   Defending my blind
*** FLOP ***: [Kc 2d 10h]   Caught part - I might be ahead
Villain bets (360)
Hero calls (360)   I'll pay to see another card with a pair and position
*** TURN ***: [Kc 2d 10h] [3h]   Two pair - Shazam!

Villain bets (960)
Hero raises (1920)   Raise designed to goad him

Villain allin (3402)   It worked!
Hero calls (2442)
*** RIVER ***: [Kc 2d 10h 3h] [8d]   I should be good here

------ Summary ------
Pot: 10164. Rake 0
Board: [Kc 2d 10h 3h 8d]
Villain shows: Two pairs. Ks and 8s [Kh 8s]. Bets: 5037. Collects: 10164. Wins: 5127.   All in with top pair bad kicker on turn? Sheesh. And hits a lucky second pair on the river? Awk!

Hero shows: Two pairs. 10s and 3s [10d 3d]. Bets: 5037. Collects: 0. Loses: 5037.   What should be a huge tournament lead has now turned into a small stack as the sign above me starts flashing "TILT   TILT."

I hung in for a bit but then petered out, acknowledging that in tournament play the poker gods can be so cruel.

I slithered away and started checking out the cash games...

5 Comments:

Blogger The Poker Meister said...

Yup... after playing with a fish like this, you can't buy back in & win back your stack. You have to go away for a complete loss with no ROI.

Cash games are so much more preferable...

8:22 AM  
Blogger balt999 said...

I prefer cash games myself, but once in a while it's to play a tournament to break the monotony

11:44 AM  
Blogger Zin said...

Cash games are so much better overall than tourneys.

5:15 PM  
Blogger Memphis MOJO said...

I enjoyed the commentary, just not the outcome. Oh well.

5:39 PM  
Blogger bill said...

Yeah....it can be painful.

I just finished a $5 turbo tourney on Bovada...played exactly 6 hands.

AK vs AQ and A8...almost triple up
AA vs 99 ...increase stack 40%ish
now I am at 16K from 3K starting stack and feeling good
KQ in the bb...shortie shoves...I call (its only 2K more)..his 99 holds
AK bb...midstack shoves..I call...he has 33 and it holds.
now I am short...around 5K...with blinds at 400/800 I think.
QQ early position...auto shove...no callers..still fairly short
next hand...77 middle position folded to me..auto shove into AA...out

If I win a flip when I am at 16K or 13K....I cruise to the money and probably the final table...lose two flips and auto shove with 77 and you are out.

3:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home