Saturday, November 09, 2013

An Old Guy Saturday?


I needed an oil change and a tire rotation for my car and had already purchased a certificate for this online. I saw that the shop was listed as opening at 8:00 a.m. on Saturday, so my plan was to be there just after opening to get out as quickly as possible. I usually like to have lazy Saturday mornings, but I was ready to get the auto work done if I got up in time.

I did get up in time and headed out to the shop. Much to my surprise, it actually opened at 7:30 a.m. There was a small group of guys not much unlike me in age and appearance who were sitting at tables and reading magazines, waiting for their cars to be ready. I dunno -- had I stumbled onto a secret society of mature gentlemen just waiting for me to join them?

Since it was going to take longer than I planned to get my work done, I called my wife so that she could meet me at a nearby restaurant for breakfast. I walked there and got there first. As I went inside and looked to my right, there was a table of guys not much unlike me in age and appearance. Throughout the restaurant, there were more and more tables of people where it looked like I could easily fit in.

Had it really happened? Somewhere along the way in living my life, had I really gotten old?

Words like old and young are certainly relative terms. When I was in grade school, my aunts and uncles all looked really old to me. It is difficult to believe that I am now older than they were at that time.

I work in an environment that deals with many people in the 18-25 age range. Sometimes I reference events that happened before they were born, yet are ingrained in my mind as just part of my life experiences. But they happened before these people were born. Ugh.

I had worn a beard for approximately 30 years, but shaved it off for a number of reasons, including the fact that I couldn't bear to see so damn much white on my face. Shaving it may have helped my peace of mind, but the growing number of white and silver strands in the hair on my head confirm that I did not somehow magically stop the aging process.

No need to look at the back and top of my head in a mirror. I know that little bald spot is there. Thankfully I can't see it most of the time and forget that it is there. I would prefer to live some parts of my life in a fantasy world.

The online alias I have used for several years is lightning36. Perhaps it is fitting that in my mind I am still really about 36 years old. That is my story and I am sticking to it.

Note: My apologies to all the old guys who are reading this. May we always remain young at heart.

12 Comments:

Blogger Rob said...

>>>My apologies to all the old guys who are reading this.<<<

Ugh. And you're still younger than I am.

11:48 AM  
Anonymous KenP said...

Sonny, there is old and then there is OLD

You've still got some middle age left so relax and find another middle age crisis to moan about.

12:13 PM  
Blogger jusdealem said...

I am sticking with 35, myself. I refuse to feel as old as I am!

12:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

We old farts need to stick together, there are fewer of us every year.

1:10 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

@AvoidOdd Law. Not really true. There's always a new class coming up to replace the ones who depart.

7:55 PM  
Blogger Memphis MOJO said...

Actually, I'm not old, just mature like fine wine. Um, whatever.

10:59 PM  
Blogger grrouchie said...

I still think of myself as 27 even though I know it's not true.
That's just the age that I feel most of the time....er...maturity wise at least....
er...
that's closer to 14 probably....

what I was saying, I think, is that You are an old fart and congrats.

Though I find it funny you shaved because of too many whites and I'm looking forward to the day that I have more whites than blacks. (this is not an excuse for Tony to comment :) )

12:13 AM  
Blogger angerisagift said...

u r NOT old until u start hanging out at MCD for more than 2 hours sucking down senior coffees. imo

4:48 PM  
Blogger Pete P. Peters said...

So. How did the oil change go?

6:51 PM  
Blogger angerisagift said...

y dont u change yr own oil?

9:49 AM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

@ PPP -- Oil change was fine, except that power window regulator that was malfunctioning broke. Just had a new one put in six months ago. Got a new one put back in for free.\

@ anger -- Several reasons. No lift to use to get car up or get under it. Don't have the proper tool to remove filter. Don't enjoy tinkering with cars and gladly spent $25 for an oil change and tire rotation.

10:37 AM  
Blogger angerisagift said...

ok sweet

10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home