Sunday, November 30, 2014

Joliet Warm Up Trip Before Las Vegas

Today will be a day of a little riverboat action as the King of Komps and I head to Harrah's Joliet to partake of some freebie food, some poker (for me) and slots. Did anyone say Willie Wonka?

My pre-Las Vegas planning is already underway. I seem to have gotten just about everything done at work that I need to, have every bill paid at home and have taken care of the million small things that allow me to leave with a clear conscience.

This trip will be much different in that I am staying six nights -- long for me, am staying at three different hotels to keep costs down and am making the trip solo as the King of Komps is unable to go. Earlier this past summer my wife went with me for the first time in many years. She might even do it again.

Unfortunately, the big question mark regarding future trips largely lies with Caesars Entertainment Corporation. For many years, CET has provided free and inexpensive rooms for Las Vegas trips. The King of Komps has also landed many other freebies at places like Wynn, Encore and Bellagio while I have gotten a few sweet deals from The Palms and other places. However, now that CET is making all lowly Platinum members pay a $25/day resort fee, the bloom is off the rose. Yeah, I know that isn't much in Las Vegas terms, but I was shocked at how much rooms at CET properties would have cost this trip outside of the free nights I received. And with the financial problems CET has had, who knows what things will look like six or eight months from now?

But ... today is today. I have had mixed poker results at Harrah's Joliet. The thing I really dislike about the room is the "must move" table. Nothing like getting comfortable at a table and knowing just how to read the other players, then getting switched to another table with no say in the matter.

Enjoy your Sunday!

14 Comments:

Blogger Memphis MOJO said...

Good luck today at the tables.

9:49 AM  
Blogger angerisagift said...

resort fees r fascist ,so r pizza delivery fees. OCCUPY LAS VEGAS!!!!!!!!

10:39 AM  
Blogger cokeboy99 said...

Willy Wonka!!!!!!

Yeah, it sucks about the resort fees. I mean, one of the huge perks of the Total Rewards Visa was the auto platinum status and no resort fees. I may have to switch my play to MGM properties, although they don't do a lot for me either. Guess it just means less trips to vegas. One of these times my wife wants to stay at a higher end property, just to experience it once.

I look forward to seeing you at Bally's....I mean, at the tables in Vegas.

3:53 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

Resort fees suck. Just saw that the MGM folks are upping their fees now. Vegas is gonna be a less and less desirable vacation visit.

I do understand CET doing something tho, they are likely to file for bankruptcy next month, so obviously their business model isn't working. Somebody has to pay for that.

How the session go?

Looking forward to seeing you in a few days. I think it's my turn to burn thru some comps for a meal. I only wish they took my comps at In-N-Out.

What do you think, should we invite Nick to join us?

8:58 PM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

The session at Harrah's Joliet was ... great! I was a card rack and guys called me down light. Got moved (you know, the stupid "must move" tables in Joliet) to a table with better players and wild action. Chipped up some more and ended with one heck of a per-hour profit. Great way to pad the sockroll before Las Vegas.

9:24 PM  
Blogger Tony Bigcharles said...

no one likes the must move tables. but those of us who hate it most are those who insist in seats 2,3 7,8 on 9 max tables.

10:04 PM  
Blogger cokeboy99 said...

Um, Rob....I was already PROMISED a trip to In-N-Out....but we might allow YOU to tag along.

Can't wait, everyday at work is dragging as the trip gets oh so close....

10:43 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

Gee, Nick...I meant should we invite you to join us when we burn thru some of my MGM comps--at a real restaurant where they have servers and real plates and silverware--and even steak knives. My treat.

But if that's your attitude, forget it.

12:19 AM  
Blogger angerisagift said...

who is going to buy me some fried oreos/twinkies and FED/EX that sheeeeeeeeeeeit to colorado

12:54 AM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

It sounds like angerisagift has the ganja munchies. The fried treats would mean going to Fremont, and I have little desire to do that. However, if I go I will post a picture of the fried Oreos or Twinkees, but no Fed Exing, dude. Suffer!

This trip is going to be bad for healthy eating. In-N-Out, chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes, ...

And Rob, burning some of your comps at MGM properties would be great since I rarely eat at any of their properties. I am likely going to burn through my Caesars comps since they might become worthless after the first of the year.

2:13 AM  
Blogger Rob said...

There's a fairly decent sports bar next to the MGM poker room that is Pete Peters approved. Or at least he didn't eat there and die. It's my restaurant of choice these days to burn thru comps.

2:33 AM  
Blogger cokeboy99 said...

I have a free buffet at MGM waiting for me....Hopefully it's not going to kill me.
Rob--As for your meal with lightning at MGM, I'm not sure I'm allowed to handle steak knives. Besides, I'd hate to be the third wheel in your date. :-)

9:04 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

Actually, that MGM buffet just MIGHT kill you, Nick It's a pretty bad buffet, which is why I never use my comps there. In fact, last time I ate there, I spent the wee hours of the morning tossing my cookies.

But of course, YMMV.

You're welcome to join us at the MGM when I use my comps. I don't think you need a steak knife to eat their burgers.

12:00 AM  
Blogger cokeboy99 said...

Sounds good. Let me know when you plan on going, I have no real plans so far except hoping to see grrouchie Saturday night. You should have my # still, if not, lightning does.
The MGM buffet pass was free compliments of the myvegas game on facebook, but maybe I will switch it for something else....lol

7:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home