Saturday, May 09, 2015

Catching Up


Is it really the weekend again?

I have finally gotten over whatever had me under the weather for about 2 1/2 weeks. I am not sure if it just worked its way through my body or if antibiotics did the trick.

So ... I fell behind in my work and have been working hard to catch back up. My yearly self evaluation was due yesterday, but that was one of the things I didn't get to it time. It should not be that big of an issue. I will try to keep in mind that three weeks from today I will be leaving for Las Vegas. I have not been there for about five months -- longer than usual for me. However, an increase in my participation in a few home games, some trips to the riverboat in East Peoria, and a few stops at Harrah's Joliet have kept me playing poker pretty regularly.

Some unfortunate news, however, has come up since my last post. My mother, who is due to turn 90 in October, has continued to lose weight and seeming slip cognitively over the past 6-12 months. When thundering36 took her in to see a family doctor recently, the doctor suggested that we enlist my mom in hospice care. Even when you know that something like that might be coming, it still smacks you in the face and bruises your soul. Fortunately, after meeting with someone from a hospice program, thundering36 decided that our mom is not quite there yet. We have some time, but we know that things are unlikely to get any better and will only get worse in the weeks and months ahead.

In a couple weeks my youngest daughter will graduate from high school. Three kids in college next school year. Ugh.

As my sea legs have finally returned, I might take a short trip to the riverboat today. Tomorrow was originally going to include a family brunch for Mothers Day and my oldest daughter's birthday, but we opted instead to cook out at home. Steak, hamburgers, hot dogs and/or brat burgers should rule the day. Life doesn't get much better than that.

10 Comments:

Blogger Memphis MOJO said...

Glad to hear you're feeling better. Sorry to hear about your mom.

12:23 PM  
Blogger angerisagift said...

like MOJO said sorry about yr mom, professor. but the Mother's Day brunch sounds KILLLLLLLA!!!!!!! is it bring your own weed?

4:33 PM  
Blogger cokeboy99 said...

Sorry to hear that about your mom. I've been thinking way too much about things lately and although it was hard for me, the fact that my dad went quickly and without suffering was good for him. It would have been nice to have the opportunity to say goodbye, do a few more things together, etc., but knowing he didn't suffer is more important in the long run.

I'm also glad you're feeling better, I hate being sick, especially when the weather is finally getting to be nicer.

I do not envy you with 3 kids in college next year....hopefully the youngest can start in a 2-year school that might be a little easier on the wallet to get the gen eds out of the way and transfer from there? If not, I'm sure you have a plan of some kind!

5:29 PM  
Blogger Onechiquita100 said...

I'm sorry to hear about your mom as well. It's tough getting to that age and making the hard decisions. In a way I'm glad my mother went the way she did and spared us the agony of watching her decline.

Hurry up and catch up on your work! Poker tables in Vegas are calling your name.

6:55 PM  
Blogger Hangar18 said...

Sorry to hear about your Mom's health Lightning - just do what you can to make her as comfortable and as loved as possible.

Peace.

9:24 AM  
Blogger The Poker Meister said...

Happy to see you back on your feet. I really hope for the best for your mom's condition - echoing Hangar18; do what you can to make her as comfortable and feeling loved as possible.

4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Iv'e been lucky enough to meet both the infamous Rob and Trooper, would also like to make your aquaintance, as i';ve followed your blog for sometime now.
Will be in Vegas May 27-June 2 , this trip, mostly @ Rio.,Hope that coincides with your trip. Will be wearing a hat that says "Got Pig?" Playing the Colossus? GL sir, Big L

2:36 AM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

@ Big J -- I will be in Las Vegas late May 30 - late June 5. I expect that I will spend significant time playing cash at Bally's, MGM, Harrah's, and getting around to a few other rooms. I've usually not played cash at Rio during the WSOP because they don't give tier credits for playing there. Might be railing friends playing the Colossus if anyone makes a decent run. I am always interested in meeting up with people, so that sounds good to me.

9:19 AM  
Blogger Lucki Duck said...

Tough duty with your Mom my friend, You'll be in my thought and prayers.

Looks like I'll miss you in Vegas this summer. Ms. Duck and I are going at the end of June. Maybe next time :)

9:18 AM  
Blogger AgSweep said...

Sorry to hear about your Mom. It's wonderful for her that she has loving family to help ease her way.

Have big fun in Vegas! Wait till you see the bizarre bazaar shops in front of Ballys. A good ecological choice instead of the gardens that took so much water but I find it hard to believe that some of those shops are going to make enough money to stay in business.

9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home