Saturday, September 26, 2015

Married ... with Children: A Different Kind of Existence

As I look at many of my friends and acquaintances on Twitter, Facebook and other social media, I am struck by the many different lifestyles we have. For whatever reason, many of my poker friends tend NOT to be in the same type of situation I am in: married with children. Actually, within the past couple of years, two of my three children moved out of the house but still live in town. All three kids are currently attending college (cha-ching!).

What does this mean? Well, most of my friends have heard me whine about money recently -- that it is only something conceptual to me anymore. It comes in, it goes out. If I am lucky, I catch a glimpse of it before it goes. It almost begins to lose any real meaning. Not that that is such a bad thing, perhaps?

So what happens when you have a family? Yesterday I purchased five cell phones. Five. Doesn't that sound ridiculous?

I guess that sometimes I just think of the responsibility that lies on my shoulders. Most decisions, which tend to almost always be well thought out, are made with several people and several factors in mind. It is certainly a different way to think and to live than the days of being single, which seem so long ago.

I have now been head of my department at work for the past 3 1/2 years. I think some of the people I supervise would be surprised at all that I deal with. I recently got some closure on a situation with a now former employee. Ahhh, if only my staff knew half of what went on. Some things just seem to suck the life right out of you. I sometimes struggle with keeping work stuff at work. I guess that is because when you are the person in charge, there is always some type of difficulty on the horizon.

But ... there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I am leaving for a professional conference in just over a week. Destination: Las Vegas. How convenient! Funny how things work out like that sometimes.

And in the category of life always changing ... the lightning36 family looks to expand by one. Ummm ... no, it is not what you think! Readers might recall that we lost our long-time family dog, Ginger, this past summer. Mrs. lightning has been jonesing for a new dog, and today we think we found it.
Unless something unexpected happens, we will be welcoming Fredo into our home. I thought it was pretty cool that a female dog named Kay had puppies, which were then all named for characters from The Godfather.

One of my all-time favorite movie scenes
 
Enjoy the rest of your weekend!


4 Comments:

Blogger Memphis MOJO said...

That's a cute looking dog. Bet you'll enjoy him.

12:09 AM  
Blogger thundering36 said...

So you're naming your new dog after an Australian chocolate?
http://www.tastytemptations.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Cadbury-Freddo-Frog-Dairy-Milk-15g.jpg

4:35 PM  
Blogger Poker & Gambling 24/7 said...

Good ole Fredo, I hope you are aware of the great trivia the actor in his 1st role has here. Holds a distinction no other actor has ever accomplished. John Cazale, He appeared in five films during six years (his only films) that were nominated for the Academy Award for Best Picture: The Godfather, The Conversation, The Godfather Part II, The Godfather Part III, Dog Day Afternoon, and The Deer Hunter. He died immediately after filming Deer Hunter with his girlfriend/partner Meryl Streep, and had already known he was terminal with lung cancer.

4:47 AM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

Yes - I was aware of it. He was an excellent actor.

8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home