Saturday, May 28, 2016

Chillin' Out on Memorial Day Weekend

My Father, a World War II veteran, is on the left
 
For any readers who have served in the United States military, a huge THANK YOU! Enjoy this weekend and know that people across the country respect and admire the sacrifice you made.
 
Unfortunately, family news was not great this week. My wife, an extremely talented teacher, was not rehired for the next school year. No reason was even given, and the real reason appears to be that the principal of the school never liked my wife from the get go for some unknown reason. The way Mrs. lightning was treated by her supervisor the past few years was abysmal. The way she was let go was horrendous -- being told that she was an at-will employee and that she needed to get her office area cleaned out by the end of the day, which happened to be the last day of the school year. Sadly, this all happened in a private, religious school. There is a lot more to the story, which I decline to post here, and I will be following up with our church's (soon to be ex-church, I am pretty sure) pastor, and likely some higher up the religious organizational food chain.
 
My wife, as you might expect, was hurt beyond belief at the way things went down. I am considering bringing a stapler with me to church tomorrow and doing my best imitation of TBC after a suckout.
 
The weather is meh today -- overcast, windy, rain ready to fall -- so I might head to the boat to play some poker. I went to Harrah's Joliet last weekend and had two big losses -- one when the agro guy at the table called my all in with the nut flush draw and hit it on the river, turning what should have been a $700+ stack into nothing, and a second loss when I pushed my Big Slick into Pocket Rockets. The second one was really my fault. Such is poker.
 
If I have time this weekend, and pending new developments this weekend, I will make a post regarding the current huge story in poker -- Dr. Jaclynn Moskow's allegations of sexual harassment at Poker Night in America. The story has been fascinating.


9 Comments:

Blogger Memphis MOJO said...

My wife, as you might expect, was hurt beyond belief at the way things went down.

I hate that. I really hate that. Mrs. Lightning is a high quality person and deserves much better.

11:01 AM  
Blogger KenP said...

You put me on to a really disgusting side of poker. Looks like old Las Vegas morality is alive. Bigotry and misogyny all wrapped together makes for a sad tale.

12:00 PM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

@MOJO - Thanks, MOJO. They have the right to let her go, but the way in which it was done was over-the-top unprofessional and hurtful.

@KenP -- Perhaps by the time we are on our last legs, things will really start to get better. I have an interesting take on the whole thing after reading as much as I could and watching the big podcast on YouTube.

12:21 PM  
Blogger Tony Bigcharles said...

Did u see Jennifer gay blog?

6:00 PM  
Blogger seattleirish said...

Lightning:

Sorry to read that about the Mrs. Working with zero job protection is abosulutely horrifying. Is she looking to stay in teaching and find another job?

Please thank your father for me.

s.i.

2:45 PM  
Blogger Onechiquita100 said...

That sucks. I'm sorry about Mes. Lightning. The fact that they unceremoniously and I daredsay RUDELY informed your wife of her job loss was definitely stapler worthy. She seems like a lovely person and hopefully she will locate a better position that shows her the respect she deserves.

4:40 PM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

@ s.i. Unfortunately. My Dad passed away almost 12 years ago. However, this picture seems to live on forever in my home town and was recently published in an area newspaper.

@ AC - Not sure about the future for her. She will likely apply for unemployment benefits for now. Full time job opportunities for her specialty and for someone with her unique background and skills are scarce in our area.

6:13 PM  
Blogger angerisagift said...

TIME 2 start growing and selling ganja. imo

11:52 PM  
Blogger The Poker Meister said...

I'm sorry to hear about the job loss. That's a crappy way to be let go! For the poker, it's good to see that you're continuing to play semi-regularly. I look forward to hearing about the times your all-ins hold up against the nut flush draw.

7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home