Monday, August 14, 2017

The Passing of a Poker Blogger Friend

It is with great sadness that I have been asked to help spread the word of the passing of a former poker blogger and friend. Earlier today, I received a text message that Wolfshead (Herb Gaasche) passed away this morning.

Wolfshead was one of the old time poker bloggers who also transitioned into the new group several years ago. He was known for his acerbic comments, particularly toward the woman he loved to chaeuffer around, Very Josie.

I was fortunate enough to meet Wolfshead in person on one trip to Las Vegas in 2010. His humor was even better in person. Despite many problems getting around due to various health concerns, including a stroke, he was a good sport and joked about his situation.

Unfortunately, over the past several years, he had a few more strokes and his health continued to deteriorate. We had not traded text messages for some time, and just over two weeks ago I sent him a text to see how he was doing. One of his nephews, Patrick, responded to me text. He said the Wolfshead recently had a leg amputated and had been bedridden since December. I left the usual kind of message that I normally would for him: "Please tell him to get off his fat butt or I'll sic Josie on him." This morning when I heard about his passing, Patrick wrote: "When I told him of your message, he was unable to communicate but his eyes lit up with joy."

Sometimes life is just really interesting. I had not heard from Wolfshead for a few years and just sent the recent message to him on a whim. Two weeks later, he is gone.

Patrick said that Wolfshead requested that his services be delayed for a month or so in order to give his long-distance friends the opportunity to attend. I will post an update when I receive additional information.

5 Comments:

Blogger crafty said...

So long, Wolfie.

1:21 PM  
Blogger Memphis MOJO said...

I'm sorry to hear this, but not surprised. On a whim I went to a WSOP Circuit Event in Atlantic City ((see here)) and was pleased when Wolfie came to see me. We had a good talk and enjoyed each other's company. His health was failing, even then. Here's a photo I took of him (see here.) (A nice pic of Very Josie, too.)

3:43 PM  
Blogger Memphis MOJO said...

I forgot to mention, this was back in March, 2012.

3:43 PM  
Blogger kipper said...

Well that explains why he has not responded to me. I hosted his blog for the longest time and he never responded to any emails I sent. RIP

9:25 AM  
Blogger KenP said...

Fine Gentlemen isn't an overused term. He qualified.

Damn! But moving to a better place.

3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home