Monday, December 20, 2021

A Little Royalty - For The 6th Time!

 Ahhh ... the illusive Royal Flush. The odds of hitting one are 649,739 to 1. Last night was a night for statistical aberration. My name was called for an open seat at $2/3 NL Hold em at the Talking Stick Resort in Scottsdale, AZ. I went to table and was confused. One player told me that a player left and another was taking his seat after playing his button, I patiently waited when there was a bit of a stir at the table. It turned out that the player who was playing his button rivered a Royal Flush using both his hole cards. Since there was a football promotion in progress, he only received $100 for the Royal. He then decided to keep his seat (6 in a table of 7), and I sat down in the open seat, seat 2. I got on Twitter and started some fun discussion about missing out on the Royal.

After an hour or two of play and with a stack that was only moderately going up and down, I decided to take the seat immediately on the dealer's right -- seat 7. I was able to chip up a bit and contemplated heading home, but I decided to stay. This was a fortunate decision, as several hands later I rivered a diamond Royal Flush! Although I was fortunate to have had several when I started playing poker, it had been a long nine years since my last. The odds of two players sitting next to each other both hitting Royal Flushes using both hole cards in a span of 3 1/2 hours? Absolutely astronomical!

My six Royal Flushes, in order:


1) October 14, 2006  True Poker (online)

2) October 2, 2008  Bodog Poker (online)

3) June 20, 2009  Bally's,  Las Vegas, NV

4) December 10, 2009  Bally's,  Las Vegas, NV

5) December 12, 2012  Venetian,  Las Vegas, NV

6) December 19, 2021  Talking Stick,  Scottsdale, AZ


If you play poker and have ever had one or several, you know that the feeling in getting one is indescribable. If you play poker regularly, you know that there are times when you get close, but then ... I feel pretty fortunate to have gotten this many. However, the wait of nine years since the last one was sure a long time. I certainly hope the next one is just around the corner -- maybe in a year or so!

Do you have any good Royal Flush stories?

Thanks for reading!

7 Comments:

Blogger Iron Mike Sharpe said...

I've had six in the last eight years at Ameristar. If I remember right these were my high hand bonuses:

175
150
300
550
900 or 1200 can't remember
3300 - most recent in August

7:44 PM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

Five in just over six years ... and then nine years with none! I got an extra $681 for one of the Bally's Royals, but the others got me little or nothing.

8:59 PM  
Blogger The Poker Meister said...

I think I've hit like 1 live royal in my life and got paid $2-300 maybe? I also won the pot LOL!

8:11 AM  
Blogger Zooks64 said...

I've had 4 royal flushes, all online. None live but have hit several straight flushes.

Congrats!

10:03 AM  
Blogger Ace said...

I've never had one live but I did fold Q-T of hearts in a tournament once (near the bubble) and if I hadn't, it would have turned into a Royal Flush!

7:59 PM  
Blogger Lionsfan247 said...

Wow truepoker! That’s a blast from the past! And I’m impressed by your royal flush recall!

7:30 AM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

I have a crappy memory, but I did note the previous Royal Flushes with blog posts, so it was easy to bring them all back. 😀

1:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home