Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Outed at the Horseshoe Poker Room: "Are you lightning?"

Greetings from Las Vegas! My trip started on Monday with good karma. As I got to my seat on Frontier, I saw a young lady sitting in it. Her significant other said that they wanted to sit together and asked me if I would trade him my back-of-the-plane aisle seat for his first row middle seat. I said okay, but getting back to the front of the plane was a challenge. It ended up that I was able to sit in the first row window seat with no one in the middle. Extra leg room and a nicer seat. Bingo!

I got to the Horseshoe and attempted to check in 30 minutes early. I decided to decline the "generous" offer to get my room 30 minutes early for an extra $40 and instead went straight to the poker room. I had a great session -- good cards, draws came, weak competition. I was also able to talk a bit with old poker blogger friend AgSweep and poker dealer Ron.

I checked into my room and headed to the Ellis Island Cafe for dinner. As always, it did not disappoint.
Not bad for $10.99 😀

I returned for another session at Horseshoe. I was able to double up against a poor player, but then lost some key hands (Q-10>K-K on a flop of Q-Q-J) and settled for a small win.

Today (Tuesday) started out with lunch at Ocean One in the shops adjacent to Planet Hollywood. The $5.99 hamburger and fries and the $3.50 Stella draft were not bad. I was ready to walk to MGM to play poker, but the rain was really coming down. Suddenly, I felt overwhelmingly tired and walked backed to my room in Horseshoe when the rain stopped. I also felt warm and I'd swear someone slipped a mickey into my drink. I crashed for the rest of the afternoon. Yuck.

I got up and was to meet AgSweep for poker at Horseshoe. After a rousing dinner of a small Greek salad and a chocolate shake, I headed to play some poker. I got into a big hand with the big stack player on my left, who I later found out was named Peter. I checked my top pair on the turn, and Peter made a big bet. I shoved and he called with the nut flush draw. He hit his flush on the river, felting me. After my rebuy, we got into another big hand. I had two pair, but there was a flush possibility on the board. I jammed all in. He looked at me and said "Wait - are you lightning? I read your blog. You're good and you have the ability to bluff me." He said he knew about me because of @sevencard2003. He also said he had a flush, so I started hoping. He decided to call, felting me for a second time. I can't recall the last time a player felted me twice in a row -- if that ever happened. 😃

AgSweep was still playing. So I talked with her before heading to ABC to buy some water for my room. I returned to the poker room to chat, but finally felt better and decided to play one more session. I was to be at a new table where Peter would also be playing, and I wanted to make sure that I would have position on him this time. However, a seat opened up at AgSweep's table, so I sat there... and here I am, at the tightest $1/3 table in history. 

The story will continue ...

I was able to make a profit, mostly due to a hand I played with AgSweep. She flopped a set of deuces and I flopped a flush draw. I shoved all in to get another player out if the hand and was surprised when she called. I  hit my flush on the turn and the board didn't pair for her, so I doubled up. We played for a few more hours, but nothing wonderful happened to me.

Wednesday plan: Play the 7pm Golden Nugget Grand Poker Series event. Before that, unsure.

Thanks for reading. 😃

6 Comments:

Blogger J Jacks said...

Sounds like a strange beginning to the trip, gl and have fun

9:17 AM  
Anonymous Dan Vasti said...

Greek Salad - Chocolate Shake. Well done sir.

9:31 AM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

I know it sounds strange. My stomach felt a little wonkey and I almost ordered pasta. My body then craved sweets, and I do love the shakes at Johnny Rockets!

11:23 AM  
Blogger Koala said...

Nice to hear you had a profitable session. Sorry though it was against Alaska girl. Her truck must have been in getting a service for her not to be on the road. I recently bought myself a used camper van and just got back from a one week trial run, testing everything before I eventually take off on a trip around Australia. Middle of summer here. Thank God for air conditioning. I hit the big 75 on January 14. Time to start slowing down a bit. Take care Lightning and all who know me, not sure if I will ever get back to Las Vegas.

1:43 AM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

It was against AgSweep (Mary), not AlaskaGal (Kristi). And I thought you were already planning your next US trip? You are always welcome at Casa Lightning, sir. 😃

4:47 AM  
Blogger Ace said...

A true poker post, thanks for sharing.

8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home