Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Tracking the COVID Beast

This week was supposed to have been a great one. Aside from having a birthday this week, I was supposed to have dinner with a co-worker from the 1980s. He is in town with his wife, and my wife and I were going to meet them for dinner on Thursday. On Friday, my two daughters were to visit us -- the make-up trip from their Christmas trip that went kaboom when Southwest Airlines canceled their December 23 flights. Things were looking great despite my having a small cold, which I figured would be gone by Thursday. I bowed out of my regular online poker game with friends on Monday and didn't go to a home game I was invited to on Tuesday for fear of passing along my cold. With out-of-state folks coming into town, I thought it best to take a CVID test just in case. Frankly, I was surprised to see the bright pink stripe on my testing strip. After avoiding COVID for, as far as I know, almost three years, I finally had it. The symptoms have seemed pretty mild, so I was not even thinking I had it. Looking back, however, I can see the signs.

Tues, Jan 17  Cold continued. Bowed out of a home poker game to not spread germs. Went grocery shopping and felt so fatigued that I used the regular cashier line -- which I never do --  instead of having to look up prices on all the veggies in the self scan lines. Decided to test for COVID. Test was positive

Mon, Jan 16  Decided not to play in my Monday evening online friends game since I felt a little punk

Sun, Jan 15  Wanted to write a blog post after watching the NFL playoff games, but felt too tired and decided that I would do it the next day

Sat, Jan 14  Got home at 2am from Las Vegas. Lazed around/slept until 5pm, then, still feeling a bit tired,  headed to Talking Stick to meet up with a friend who was in town
  
Fri, Jan 13  Felt a small twinge in my throat in the evening. Chalked in up to long days and less sleep in Las Vegas

Tues, Jan 10  Wrote this in my blog post: "The $5.99 hamburger and fries and the $3.50 Stella draft were not bad. I was ready to walk to MGM to play poker, but the rain was really coming down. Suddenly, I felt overwhelmingly tired and walked backed to my room in Horseshoe when the rain stopped. I also felt warm and I'd swear someone slipped a mickey into my drink. I crashed for the rest of the afternoon. Yuck."

So, it appears that I likely caught COVID before I went to Las Vegas. Since the symptoms has mostly been mild, I just figured I had a cold or one of the usual bugs that was making its rounds.

I feel fortunate that COVID hasn't hit me worse. It appears that I have had it for over a week now, so hopefully I am not too far from being 100% again.

Thanks for reading! 😀

6 Comments:

Blogger Mr Subliminal said...

Thankfully it's a mild case. Wishing you a speedy negative test.

1:29 AM  
Blogger Tony Bigcharles said...

i wonder how many people u gave it to while in Vegas? anyone notice how the only people who keep getting it are the vaxxed?

4:24 AM  
Blogger JT88Keys said...

I was just in Vegas over Christmas and had a mild sniffle and scratchy throat. It was honestly milder symptoms than most colds I get and the symptoms started a little bit before I left home. My wife developed symptoms while we were in Vegas and when we got home she was laid up for a day when I made her take a home test that came up positive. I tested myself and was negative, but I have a pretty strong suspicion that I had it while I was in Vegas and just didn't know it since it was just a sniffle and nothing more.

7:02 AM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

Mr Subliminal: Thank you, sir. I hope you are doing okay. It has been a long time. Maybe Aria or Venetian my next trip to Las Vegas?

Tony: Unfortunately, that is the bad part about viruses. Had the symptoms been more severe, I would have quarantined myself. And people get it because ... it's a virus. Getting a vaccine can't absolutely prevent it from being spread. And guess what? I chose NOT to get the latest update. Maybe I paid the price for not getting it.

JT: You are likely correct. Hard to immediately think it is COVID when the symptoms are relatively mild. Glad to see you and your wife are good on the far side of it.

11:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you feel better soon lightning! Thanks for the recent updates, glad to see you back.

1:24 AM  
Blogger Ace said...

I think most of us have had it without even knowing. Is your friendly online poker game accepting new players? I am interested to play in it occasionally.

9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home