Sunday, January 30, 2011

Nice Run in WBCOOP 2011 Main Event

Although I got off to a very slow start, patience paid off in the WBCOOP 2011 Main Event as I finished in 25th place out of 872 runners. Almost six hours invested to fall short of the final table, however, was disappointing.

For the first couple of hours I was not getting anywhere. Then, horror of horrors, when I was short stacked and waiting to shove, I got distracted with a home matter and inadvertently folded pocket Aces! Needless to say, my language was quite colorful and objects were flying through the air!

I lucked out when I got Q-Q in the Big Blind and had two people raise. However, the flop brought an Ace and I thought I was a goner. One of the guys raised and drove the other player out. He had A-9 and flopped two pair. But then ... a Queen on the turn and I was back in the ball game!

Other bloggers who were hovering in the good half of the leader board for much of the tournament included wolfshead and Drizztdj. I eventually was at a table with wolfshead for the better part of an hour.

I played fundamentally solid poker and only had one player upset with me. Late in the tourney I raised in early position with A-Q and faced an all-in for a good percentage of my chips. I was guessing that, at worst, I was flipping. I was playing for first place and snap called. An Ace on the flop took care of his pocket Jacks. He couldn't believe I made the call so fast. The hand helped catapult me all the way to second place. However, a semi-bluff on a nut flush draw devoured a big chunk of my new found chips. Had I binked a diamond I would have been in first and had a nice cushion. As it was, I dropped down to about 14th place where I tended to hover as the play slowed down when we got to the $215 ticket bubble.

After the bubble burst, the play got wild and crazy. I didn't have the cards or position to push, so I just waited patiently for my chance. I got it when I was dealt K-K on the button. There was three-way pre-flop action and I had hopes of tripling up and moving toward the front of the pack. However, this happened:

Awk -- out in 25th place! One guy claimed he had J-J but folded. That would have made the hand even wilder. But -- what can you do?

So ... the only 2011 WBCOOP event I went deep in was the Main Event, so I guess I can't complain. My only question is ... who the hell were most of those players?

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Wolfshead said...

Nice run sir, sorry I missed you at the table for awhile. Was on phone with the daughter and only halfway paying attn to the game

8:59 PM  
Blogger Lucki Duck said...

Nice run lightning! Congrats!

9:03 PM  
Blogger PokahDave said...

NICE RUN 2 Years in a row!!!

9:44 PM  
Blogger Josie said...

Very nice. I had no idea you went deep or I would've railed. *sniffle* not that you're gonna post this. :(

10:07 PM  
Blogger Memphis MOJO said...

Congrats on the run. I saw you won a 'ticket.' What is that good for?

11:06 PM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

The ticket is for entrance to one of the $215 PokerStars SCOOP (Spring Championship of Online Poker) tournaments that will take place around the first weeks of May.

Last year ck got hers chopped into smaller amounts so she could play several of the lower buy-in SCOOP events.

11:46 PM  
Blogger The Neophyte said...

Well done Lightning. I saw the hand the knocked you out and it was a killer. I had the same thing happen to me in a live tourney as well. Still a job well done.

12:02 AM  
Blogger BamBam said...

Well done Light!

8:59 AM  
Blogger SirFWALGMan said...

Nice job Lightbulb!

12:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

And I thought running into Aces with Jacks blind vs. blind was bad :)

If you don't want to play one of the medium SCOOP events ($100-$500 buy-in) ask Stars to break up the $215 into smaller tickets to play the low events ($11-$55).

I remember the low event I covered and several had mid five figure up to six figure scores.

Worth checking out.

3:38 PM  
Blogger bastinptc said...

Congrats. Be sure to let us know what tourneys you'll be in come May so I can rail.

1:23 AM  
Blogger David Westbay said...

Congrats, sir! Well done!

And thanks for your comment on my blog post about the WSOP. I appreciate the feedback.

6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home