Wednesday, June 06, 2012

The Waiting


Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers said it best: the waiting is the hardest part.

Two weeks from today I will be back in Las Vegas for six nights of fun. My last trip was four months ago -- not very long ago, actually. I have been making anywhere from two to four trips to Sin City for so many years that I long ago lost track of how many trips I have made. Some of the trips involved staying gratis at some of the nicer Las Vegas properties (Wynn, Encore, Bellagio, Caesars Palace) courtesy of my brother, the King of Komps. Other trips featured staying in less than desirable locations (Circus Circus manor, Westward Ho, Best Western Mardi Gras) and hanging out in little cubby holes like the old snack bar at Westward Ho. Can you say 3/4 pound Mega Dog for $1.49 and a Bloody Mary fountain?

I was all set to get a free room at Bally's until I changed my travel dates due to not wanting to miss the appearance of a certain poker princess and one of the proposed TBC poker tournaments being set up by followers of TBC's blog. Awk -- you mean I might actually have to pay something for my room? I therefore, being the el cheapo guy I am, went for an old standby -- the IP! I might switch back to Bally's, my Las Vegas "home" poker room, if I can negotiate a decent rate.

As for poker ... I have gotten away from playing in many tournaments in Las Vegas due to the time needed if you actually go far in a deep stack tournament. This trip, however, I plan on playing at least a few deep stack events TBA. I am looking at the Rio, maybe Golden Nugget and/or Venetian for these. I will, of course, spend plenty of time playing cash games at Bally's. I also hope to play some cash games at Rio, maybe Bellagio, Planet Hollywood, MGM, etc. I am looking forward to this.

I am keeping my daily schedule relatively flexible since sometimes it is just best to go with the flow. Outside of a planned dinner and one tournament I will definitely enter, I will see what works out best.

The clock is ticking ...

18 Comments:

Blogger ~Coach said...

"The waiting is the hardest part..." Truer words have not been spoken...

1:48 PM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

Actually,~Coach, I thought of this as I was reading your latest post!

1:49 PM  
Blogger DuggleBogey said...

Isn't there some kind of big tournament thing going on at the Rio at that time?

2:18 PM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

I heard that there was. Actually, I plan on posting about all that activity there after I get home from work today.

2:38 PM  
Blogger Josie said...

Awww you changed all your travel plans just for me? You're sweet!

Um which night is your dinner? I def don't want to miss it and email me about any big juicy tournaments you've found. I'm still unsure about which tourney I'll be playing.

EVERY time you mention the word Princess with regard to me, I'm smacking you.

2:45 PM  
Blogger Carmel said...

I hope to get to see you all, that weekend I will be in California with my boo- snack riding roller coasters!

2:51 PM  
Blogger Carmel said...

Oh yeah and dinner, when? I'll make sure to get the time to be there.

4:02 PM  
Blogger grrouchie said...

I recommend the daily rio deepstacks Lightman - dats the way to go in my humble O

7:19 PM  
Blogger Memphis MOJO said...

I'll be there one week from today, so my waiting won't be quite as hard.

7:55 PM  
Blogger Jeremy said...

Thanks...Now this song will be stuck in my head for the next week and a half! gl and see you soon.

12:11 AM  
Blogger Rob said...

OK, I want you to know I will be in Vegas the entire time you will be and I would like to see you and super-model of poker bloggers (as I recently dubbed her) as early and as often as possilble--if that's ok by you.

Regarding deep stack tournaments, have you considered the 1PM (or even the 7PM) at the Aria? Shirley you've read about my adventures there, and remember, if I could cash it in it a couple of times, there's hope for you.

I stayed at IP a few days last month. You do know there is all kinds of construction going on there, right? The room was fine but the parking situation was a nightmare. Are you renting a car in Vegas? If so, be warned that trying to get to the parking I ran over some construction stuff and speed bumps that did some minor damage to my car. But if you won't have a car that won't be an issue.

1:41 AM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

@Rob I doubt I will even see Josie since Ms. Popularity will have a busy social calendar.

I forgot about the Aria tournaments. So many from which to choose. I really enjoy playing cash games much more anymore.

I had thought about renting a car (which I have only done once recently) but I do not see much need for one unless there is something special off The Strip that I want to see.

Are you playing in the AVP tournament on June 23?

1:59 AM  
Blogger Rob said...

Oh come on, I expect you and Josie to be joined at the hip in Vegas. Especially since in this very post you say you gave up a free room just to coordinate this trip with her. Who are you trying to fool?

Besides, she wants to see you to repeatedly slap you, and I definitely want to see that. Hopefully she will slap you so hard that it will turn your cap around so that it sit properly on your noggin.

Definitely playing in the AVP tournament and also the TBC meet.

You sentence about playing cash games is confusing. Do you enjoy them more or less than tournaments?

2:49 AM  
Blogger Pete P. Peters said...

I'll be down starting the 24th . . . Looking forward to finally meeting some fellow bloggers . . . Time now to start thinking up excuses for why my poker games sucks . . .

12:12 PM  
Blogger Vegas Linda Lou said...

Dude, your pictures tell me you're a walking party. You look like any number of guys I might have known in college. Have a blast here in Vegas!

2:20 PM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

A walking party? Ha! My kids will tell you that I am the most boring guy on the planet with the worst jokes. I'll be fine as long as Josie doesn't try to get me drunk to take advantage of me.

3:32 PM  
Blogger Carmel said...

Walking Party! Wow I want that on my tombstone.

4:41 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

You asked me if I was attending the AVP tournament. How about you? I don't see your name (or Josie's either, for that matter) on the list of RSVP's. You need to sign up in advance to be sure you can get in, last time they had a juice-free event like this, they had 350+ runners and this time they are capping at 100, I believe.

10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home